Saturday, February 14, 2009

Karl Kani Jeans

For the past few days I've been laughing to myself whenever I think about these three words: "Karl Kani jeans." I didn't really know what they were. I just heard them shouted-out in a rap jam once. Here's a typical pair of his (Karl Kani a.k.a. Carl Williams') jeans, which peaked in popularity in the late '90s:



I've never been a big fan of huge-o pants, but I don't care - whatever makes people happy. Obviously, there's such a thing as too-tite, too. Matta fack, I'm daily tortured by my hatred of all my pants, and inability to find good replacements.

Chuckling to one's self about the name of a kind of jeans is no doubt an expression of some quiet form of mental illness, but we'll save that for another post. I just wanted to relay this paragraph from Karl Kani's wiki, which I felt compelled to research today to learn about the source of my chuckles:

"Inspired by the vitality of the streets of Brooklyn New York. Karl Kani, the young African-American designer of Karl Kani Jeans, encourages you to follow your dreams and accomplish your goals. Wear the clothing that represents the knowledge of African-American creativity and determination. Recognize the signature that symbolizes African-American unity and pride... peace, Karl Kani."[5] POOP


That's right, some internet tittermaker added that hilarious last word. And now I've shared it with you. You've been LIQUID METAL'd®!!

No comments: